Getting Your Tax Credit Money – Filing Details

By: Brian Schutt  |  January 5, 2011

Congratulations, you took advantage of the HVAC tax credit that expired on December 31, 2010!  We’ve written extensively about all of the requirements for eligibility, but wanted to help you through the next steps of actually receiving the tax credits.  Muddling through government websites, while a great joy for us, may not be a New Year’s resolution, ??so we’ve done it for you.

Step 1: What you should get from your Heating and Air Conditioning dealer:

  • Receipt/Invoice with all necessary details about model installed in home.  This will provide the necessary dollar amounts used to determine the total amount of the tax credit your receive.  As well, this needs to be submitted with the IRS Form 5695 discussed below.
  • Manufacturers Certification Statement. While you need to retain this for your records, it does not need to be submitted to the IRS.  Most manufacturers will have this information on their website, but the company or technician who has done the installation should be able to provide that as well.

Step 2: What the IRS Needs:

  • Form 5695 is used to calculate your total tax credit value.  You will need to submit this form with your taxes to receive the incentive. To understand this form in greater detail, go here.

Note on 2009 1040 form, the residential energy tax credit (the $ derived from Form 5695) was claimed on line 52.

* Before filing for a tax credit Homesense LLC recommends that consumers consult with a tax professional to determine the application of the tax credits outlined in The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 to their particular situation

HVAC Service Areas: